Harlan, Iowa
9.4K views

I have had a Mutual of Omaha Cancer Policy since 2005. In the past year and a half I have been diagnosed with breast cancer, first on one side and then 6 months later on the other side.

The cancer insurance I pay $200 for each year, only paid $800 total for the first side that included biopsies, lumpectomy, and radiation. Now I am onto my second round of radiation after having biopsies and a lumpectomy, mind you for the other breast, and they don't want to pay. As if having breast cancer is only supposed to happen to a person once. They have the worst customer service and won't explain anything.

I have had to submit all doctors statements and coded paperwork on 3 occasions. I would recommend that everyone steer clear of anything having to do with Mutual of Omaha insurance.

Comments

to supercute Jefferson, New York, United States #996212

We did have Aflac 11 years ago and they weird excellent . Upon diagnosis and biopsy . We were paid within weeks 6000 dollars

to Anonymous #1476789

I was just going to send in my first check until I read all these comments and now I just shredded the application. Would never go for this kind of coverage when they don't keep there word.

I have had a cancer policy with Mutual of Omaha since April of 2008. After reading some of the reviews here, I almost cancelled the policy.

I am so thankful that I did not cancel. My husband had s couple of skin cancers removed this Spring. I wrote to the company and they responded with the information that I needed to file a claim. We had a check in less than three weeks.

In October of 2013, he had more skin cancers removed and we had the same success in receiving payment from Mutual of Omaha. I highly recommend Mutual of Omaha Cancer Insurance.

Happy customer from Texas

Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States #707479

I have Cancer policy that needs renewing and Now I'm going to cancel it. Geez..

You count on coverage like this and it's shameful that they don't pay out. Isn't this consumer fraud? There must be some regulating commission that could help with your issues. Well I guess it was too good to be true.

Call me a sucker.. :(

Tucson, Arizona, United States #643905

I recieved this application today, I am sure glad I saw this website. I too am throwing it in the trash.

I have had such problems with Metlife paying on an injury several years ago, some of these companies are very disreputable.

Mutual of Omaha used to be a reputable company, don't know what happened. Buyer beware.

Overland Park, Kansas, United States #636238

Like many of you, after reading the posts, I've decided not to enroll. Thanks for saving me from throwing my money away.

Shreveport, Louisiana, United States #623434

I'm about to file a claim now. Got on the phone quickly with a rep today and hope I get paid what she and my policy say I will. We'll see.

Saint Louis, Missouri, United States #620044

The application I received for cancer insurance was for policy CL10. Is this the same as what some of you have?

I see some have stated it was called the "John Wayne" policy. Does anyone know if these are the same policies?

Washington, District Of Columbia, United States #606355

I am cancelling now. Too many of you are unhappy, now we can all be happy.

I've wasted about 2 yrs payments.

No more from me. Thanks to all of you.

hendersondf
Dayton, Ohio, United States #599716

Thannk you all for your comments. I was getting ready to complete my application for Cancer Coverage but now will not.

For those you you who have had poor service from this company I would like to recommend that you seek assistance from your state Board of Insuracne. That is wat they are there for. I would also recommend that you report any problems to you state Attorney General's Office. Both agencies will investigate complaints on your behalf.

Their services are free of charge. This will usually "fix" past and future problems.

Good Luck everyone!

I received a cancer policy offer in August and just found it. I am so glad that I came across this website, I was going to fill it out and send it in. So thanks so much for the information on this.

Thank you so much for all of your comments. I almost signed up but will not be doing so now!

I was diagnosed with cancer in Sept.10,2010 and had purchased a cancer policy in Feb. of that same year and paid direct payments each month.

I had to send info over and over and talked on phone until I was blue with them. I got the add in mail and decided it was a good buy, but later they found every excuse not to pay. I emailed Mutual of Omaha that I felt as if I had been involved in a scam, gave policy number, claims person's name and got a check in the mail but it was not what the policy said it would be if you got one of their cancers listed and mine is. Policy also said will pay for one check up every 6 months and I have had to have them but then fight with M.O.O.

to get a very small check in the mail. Believe me I have paid out to them more than they have been willing to spend. I regret doing business with them. I will suggest contacting M.O.O.

online through their their email complaint form and that seems to get action! Though not what they promised in the policy contract!

Thank you everyone for all the responses. I am so glad I went on this website.

I have had this policy for several yrs. & was hesitant to continue it. Like you said the constumer service was bad on the phone & it was impossible to get info online. So I thought I would check into the policy.

Wow. I will never give them a penny of my money again.

I also received an offer in the mail. Thanks for your feedback. I will be ripping it up.

Thanks for the comments. We are trashing it also!!

Wow. We got the same offer.

Seemed very skimpy even for a $20 premium.

You get what you pay for I guess. Most cancer policies are hundreds per month usually.

This made up my mind.

Thanks for making up my mind not to send back the mail offer. This has been a tremendous help!

I received Mutual of Omaha's offer for cancer insurance in the mail just a couple of days ago. It was intriguing -- I had never considered cancer insurance before, but thought this was "probably a safe bet" because it was coming from (what I thought was) a well-known and reputable company -- and might offer me a little extra protection.

However, I wanted to do some checking first. I'm so glad I did -- and so glad I found all of your input.

I won't be returning this application. Thank you.

:eek

I got the same information packet in the mail too. After reading over it, I too decided it was something I was interested in so I called the company to ask more question about the Cancer policy.

The customer rep quoted me prices higher than was listed, she didn't know anything about the information that I was referring to that I was holding in my hand reading from. She then decides to take an application over the phone, first by asking me what state I lived in,when I told her Mississippi, she immediately said she couldn't take that app over the phone and started giving me multiple reasons why..... Then told me to just send in the first month's premium that SHE had quoted me and that after that was received by them, I would then receive a packet of information IF I was accepted. That's when I decided I would Google the company.

I'm so glad I did.

I don't believe I will be doing business with Mutual of Omaha !! :upset Seems a little too confusing for me